Affiliatebanner7

Monday, April 30, 2012

what is it about beer and coffee?

Besides the fact that they are two of MY favorite things....what is it about beer and coffee that makes dogs go to any length to get a taste?!

If we spill anything in our house, the dogs are on top of it - but there appears to be some supernatural draw to coffee and beer that leave the floor cleaner than it started following a spill.

When Suvi was little, I brought her to kickball. When my team was out in the field, she strategically spilled the beers sitting on the bench, one by one, and licked up the puddles off the ground. She was out like a light by the time we drove home...I'm convinced she was drunk!


Don't worry - it was empty. She was still determined to find a few drops, though!
Another time, I left her in the car while I ran errands, specifically double-checking that the lid was tightly on my Starbucks cup before locking up. I walked back to the car, just in time to catch her with the cup (still covered) in her mouth, tilted up at just the right angle to stream the coffee out of the hole, down her face, and all over my passenger seat...

Just the other night, we were enjoying beers on the deck, and Ramsey crawled right over Chad, into the corner of the patio couch, so she could try to drink my beer when I wasn't looking! Pablo seems to have the same draw, but either he's sneakier about it, or just too short to get his face into trouble - but should we spill something on the floor, he claims his prize without letting the girls near!

So what is it? This phenomenon can't just be affecting our dogs? Is it like with kids - they want it just because they know they can't have it? If so, why aren't they begging for onions, or chocolate?


9 comments:

  1. Elka has, to date, left coffee alone, but she'll try to mug you for your beer! She'll also try to mug you for an apple, though, so maybe she's just a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known some horses that like the taste of beer, but I think that's because it's a grain-based drink. No clue why dogs like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting - I've never thought of that for horses! We had horses growing up, and one of them LOVED beer and pepsi (not together). Too funny!

      Delete
  3. We have a dobe named Khiya who has literally taken my husbands Tim Horton's coffee off the patio table @ the cottage (more than once so you think he'd know better...), as soon as we noticed that she had the coffee in her mouth (she was tipping it like Suvi) and began to do laps around the trailer while we (my husband and I) ran after her, end result we had to corner her and practically pry the cup outta her mouth - needless to say that the nearest coffee shop @ close to the cottage is an hour away! LOL
    I just created a page a few weeks ago cuz our gurls are so priceless, check it out. Love your updates BTW! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps! Check the FB Page = The Adventures of Khiya & Sookie

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thanks so much for sharing your pups, too!

      Delete
  4. I was lying on the couch and set my coffee mug on the floor for a minute only to hear "lap, lap, lap." My doxie mix had her face in the mug! She's a bit of an omnivore though, I had to banish her from the kitchen after I spilled flour. She didn't seem to like it at first lick but came back to try and clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bff's doxie had an infinity for any sort of protein drink that might be consumed in their house. Not just the powder based 'shakes' but the clear liquid (think tropical punch flavored) Isopure that I would pour over ice. He's a skittish dog and not really one to hang out on my lap but i couldn't get rid of the little bugger when I had one of those (and at the time, I had one most of the time, it was medically neccessary!)

    The Lab in our house does have chocolate radar. She will follow the baby around like a hound because she is well aware she can probably, at the least, steal a taste. (This has been going on since the baby was a toddler, she's four now but will always be 'the baby' in our house!) I suppose she hasn't tuned into the greatness of beer (that literally made me gag a little to type! Hah, not a beer person, but my husband is so it's always around.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a Bullmasfiff called Hoagy who accidentally got a taste for beer and because we thought it was so funny we used to give him a tiny bit in his bowl when we were having some because he loved it so much.

    Unfortunately we created a beer monster! As soon as you opened a can he would come hurtling into the kitchen and sit in front of you having the biggest tantrum you have ever seen, yowling and stamping his feet like a petulant child and when he had finished would pick up the bowl and keep dropping it at your feet whilst complaining loudly!

    We told a friend about his new found taste and when we went round for dinner one night she asked if she could give him some beer, we said yes of course but when we walked into the kitchen, to our horror, discovered that she had poured a whole can into a bowl and Hoagy was just finishing off the last drops, we had omitted to tell her that we only gave him little bits!

    Anyway he was absolutely fine and just slept soundly for a few hours and went on to have a long and happy life of 10+ years!

    ReplyDelete