Affiliatebanner7

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

chihuahua killer. er....suvi.

August 2009:
"Fine, adopt her, but you are not bringing that chihuahua killer to our house." - my parents (who do not have a chihuahua).


August 2009:
"She's cute now, but
you just wait until she grows up." - my parents (who then let her in the backyard).



Fall, 2009:
"Did you see the story in the news about that pit bull that snapped and killed someone?" - my parents.

September 2009:
"Fine, she can come in the house, but she's going to be a vicious killer when she gets big. Then she'll have to stay outside." - a composite quote of things I'm sure my parents said to me.

October 2009:
"C'mere Fat Head. Come sit in my lap." - my dad, Jim.

December 2009:
"Are you bringing that chihuahua killer over for Christmas? We'll put the cats in the basement." - my parents.

December 2010:
"Jim, STOP calling her Fat Head! You're hurting her feelings!" - my mom. and she meant it. (did I mention my mom has been terrified of dogs since she was small? as in, won't get out at a garage sale if she sees a dog near the house.)

February 2011:
"Where did you get that sweatshirt? Can you order some for us? I want to wear it to work and tell the guys there that my cat has bitten more people than your pit bull ever will." - my dad, Jim. (referring to the MN Pit Bull Rescue hoodie I was wearing.)

July 2011:
"I was just driving home, and I saw some lady walking a dog that looked familiar. I stopped and asked her what it was, and she said it was a pit bull. I told her that my daughter has a pit bull, and they're great dogs. I let her know that she really should get involved with MN Pit Bull Rescue if she wants to be a breed advocate. It's especially important for these kinds of dogs. I told her if she stopped over, I'd be happy to give her more information!" - my mom.

Mission accomplished. If we never change another mind about pit bulls, we will still have been successful.

NOTE: At no time did any of us ever believe that I would be the momma to a chihuahua, and it became a running joke the second my family found out that Chad had a chihuahua. Now Pablo runs her life...and she's ok with it.

My dad, Keith. A dog lover, he had less of a problem with Suvi from the start. Now, she's his granddaughter (his words, not mine), and he insists when we go somewhere that she sit on his lap in the front seat. He actually has her in the seatbelt with him here...

Suvi with my niece Bella. When Bella was younger, she learned to sit on the floor, and brace herself with one hand, so that Suvi could lick her face without knocking her over. She LOVES Suvi kisses, and Suvi loves to give them!

6 comments:

  1. We adopted two human babies, the things you read and hear "they won't bond." "good for you we would have adopted if (insert million reasons why did not)" "they'll have attachment issues and never bond." "how much did they cost?" oy vey. Ignorance abounds everywhere apparently. Reminds me of MLK's speech about content of character versus color of skin. Hope same for Suvi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I'm sure getting a flashback. I had the same problem with my Mom over a doberman I wanted as a teen. She was convinced he was gonna kill me. The worst he ever did was almost crush me by trying to get his large self in my lap like he did as a pup.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! Suvi is gorgeous! I'm saving all her pics to my computer so I can look at her when I'm offline hehe lol @ Pablo running her life now, such cuties :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family is going through a similar process adapting to my adopted pittie Maddie. It is very rewarding when she does things like rest her head in my mom's lap or is when she is scared of the cats that follow her around the house when we're home! Best wishes with future adventures! -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something awesome about being a teacher to our parents! I appreciate your funny timeline leading us to your Dad's "granddaughter"! AND I'd say; "Some Good Karma for everyone - now that the chihuahua is in charge!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up with Pits, everyone warned my mom they'd eat us one day. We adopted a pregnant girl and when she had her pups (all 12 of them), my parents warned us not to go around her, she may bite. I wandered up on one of the freshly birthed pups looking for mom in the wrong direction and freaked out. My need to protect the puppy over rode my mother's good sense. Turns out Dixie was just as gentle with or without pups. After a time, I think she was just grateful for the help! I've never understood stereotypes with dogs.

    Our daughter was attacked by a dog and mauled two years ago (Next month, actually. She's fine now, and her scars have healed very well.). The news stations ran with it, a vicious pit bull had been on the loose! The dog had no pit in him what so ever, he was bought as a boxer (but as he grew, I guess the family realized he wasn't pure bred, he was very tall). We're pretty sure he was part neopolitian mastiff, actually. Either way, he was not a pit and it made us so angry they jumped all over the chance to perpetuate the fear. We gladly tell everyone that the dog was NOT a pit and that they shouldn't judge before they know the truth! We're actually considering adopting our own pit bull in the future.

    ReplyDelete